Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Saturday, January 17, 2015

Montana - Loving it!

Every moment of the moving stress was worth it.  This is an amazing place!  Hardin, MT is made even better by the great people we have met, and the experiences we are having.

The girls love their school - even Taylor who is having "girl high school troubles."  I keep trying to tell her that high school is snipey no matter where you are, and teen girls are always like this.  The difference is that she only has 3 girls who target her rather than a gaggle.  She also has the intense attention of Chase Molina who is here pretty much every day.  I believe it's time to ask his parents for child support.  LOL  Chase is a great kid, and he is very helpful when he's here, so it's never a problem.  He torments the hell out of Taylor while also taking her out bowling and being a great friend.
 
Mandy is still painfully shy, but she is making friends (albeit slowly).  She is doing well in her classes, and she is taking responsibility for her learning as well as control of it.  

Jordan, is Jordan.  She cracks us up as well as drives us completely nuts.  She is making friends and doing well in school as well.  And then, there's the conversations she has with us:

In discussing one of her sister's male friends, Jordan exclaims, "I don't get men!"
A few minutes later, Jordan asks Ken if he knows who was the first person to visit the Mississippi River. We answer no, so she informs us, "it was Hernando de Soto or this other guy."
Now, she is upset we're laughing. Ken and I keep trying our best New York City accents "I know dis guy". She has stomped away saying this was "not humorous".
Yes, the Shit Jordan Says is still continuing.

I am working on my cooking recipes to include game meat and adding new recipes to my repertoire.  I have also found Crock Pot Condoms!!  These things are great and really help keep the cleaning down to a minimum when cooking.


Taylor, who has the chore of dishes was very happy at this find, and Mandy was actually thrilled with the meal.  I used a recipe for pulled pork but substituted chicken instead.  Mandy was actually requesting to have a Leftover day so she could eat more.  Finally!!

I have not had much time for stitching - this working out of the house for a living thing is crap!  On top of that, my shoulder has really been bothering me which also makes it difficult to stitch.  I got a new start in for the 15 Miras (I am so far behind on this project).  It's going to be a close fit on the fabric when it's finished, however.
 
Seaside Kingdom by Mirabilia on Stephanie's "Nantucket Sky" in 28 ct Lugana

I really hope that Jill can do her amazing work when there's only an inch on the sides.  I have also been looking to find what people chose to fill in the sand.  So far, it looks like white thread or Ecru.

Ken had the opportunity to go out hunting for water fowl with Robbie Koyama.  He is making friends quickly, and because he is The Ken, he is invited out a lot.  There is so much he is learning, and I love when he calls me to tell me how happy he is here, and that he loves we made this move!!
 
Ken with two geese and three ducks. Smoking them for supper during the weekend!

Ken was a large reason for the decision to move - seriously, he was the main reason.  He is retired and requires Quality of Life for the cancer.  Sitting around in California was great with our friends, but he couldn't do anything he really liked.  He rarely went fishing and hunting because it took days and weeks away from me and the children.  So, when I was tired of being pink-slipped every year due to continued Education Budget Cuts, we looked into where we could go.  Montana won - specifically here near the Bighorn River.  We were also very disappointed in the schools for the girls.  Not only were they not learning anything (each of them were at grade level or above, so they were handed packets and left to work on their own), but the schools weren't safe - Jordan's attack in December 2013 as an example.  

This move was perfect!!  Ken gets to spend the day out hunting or fishing, and he's home by evening with us.  He has to learn all different fishing techniques as well as where the best hunting locations are, but he loves it all!!  Again, Ken is loved by all, so no one minds teaching him.  Hell, he learned all about Red Lodge from his dentist, and all about places and things to do in Billings from the hygienist while he was there on Friday!

Since moving, I have discovered a guilty pleasure.  Each week, I receive the local newspaper, and I must confess - I only subscribed to it for the weekly entertainment of reading the names in the Arrested and Booked section. 

Seriously!!  They write about everyone arrested in this County, and I find that awesome!!!  I also enjoy some of the Small Town items such as this beauty:


So, anyone notice the problem??  The date of the newspaper was January 15, but the date of registration for classes was January 6th.  LOL  Um, I totally think this should have been in LAST week's paper!!

Now, for this week's fun of names, here is who was arrested.  I also pick a "winner" from the bunch for obvious reasons.

Brandon Old Elk
Nancy Morning
Dustin Plenty Hoops
Lyle Old Elk, Sr.
Melvin Left Hand
Jeanne White Man
John Medicine Elk
Joseph White Wolf
Michael Pretty Weasel

The winner is Rachel Ann Wooden Legs who was arrested on January 9th for public urination. Bond set at $500.
I love the names here.  Mine seems so boring in comparison!  I also love that it was a chick who was urinating in public, and I really hope she doesn't have Wooden Legs or that would be gross rotting.

Ken and I joined some of our new friends out for an evening at 3 Brothers for pizza and wine.  The men had a great time as well, and I totally need the laugh after such a crappy week at work.

Before we headed out, I put on the earrings that my mentor, Kristen Merchant, had gifted to me at the beginning of the year.

These are important here in Big Horn County.  The beaded items are made by Crow and everyone has them.  I can't wear them at work because of Harold - who pulls on my jewelry.
 
And I love my Christmas present from Crystal hanging behind me

Shae  Esp was excited to see me wearing the earrings when I arrived. "Yay! Now she's officially one of us!"  

I also loved the picture that Laura took of us, although I wish she could have been IN the picture.  
From left and around to me:  Cheri Colstad, Crystal Uffelman, Ardis Bott, The Ken, Greg DeVore, Sarah DeVore, Deanna DeVore, and then me. 
 However, she apparently kept taking pictures, and I found this one on her phone when I was sending the first one to myself.

Holy shit!  That's totally funny! Is this seriously what I look like when completely having fun??  I knew Deanna was making a gesture over my head, and I started laughing.  I have always hated my smile, but apparently, it is others' favorite thing about me. 

The laughing and girl time was completely necessary!!  Ken and the guys walked over the Aces for some harder alcohol and guy talk.  Apparently, we women were being too loud.  They rejoined us after they were done, and we kept laughing and closed the place down.  (It's a good thing that the owners are in this group of crazy people so we could finish our drinks.)

My stitching start over the weekend was on the Letter J by Nora Corbett.  I actually got a good start on it.  
28ct Lugana - Spring Breeze by Stephanie Bishop
Just for the record, here are some of the text messages that get sent to me from Ken and other friends.  Nothing like laughter to help you feel better:




No comments:

Post a Comment